While we always adore a sweet mini skirt, there’s something so alluring about a long, more covered-up, exotic dress. If you dare to wear one to a cocktail party or on a date, you’re sure to stand out (and if you like that sort of feeling, which we love, then by all means, hop aboard!). Free People has made a name for themselves as the go-to destination for high-quality, sometimes high-end, unusual and modern bohemian chic. It’s a great place to find unique pieces like jackets and skirts that we normally go on to mix with other pieces. Very rarely do we dress head-to-toe in Free People. But the new FP X Collection has us singing a very different tune. We’ve fallen madly in love with the ‘FP X Film Noir Dress‘ for all the drama and the black ruffles it entails. It’s actually rather sleek and simple for a Free People dress, with a solid black column maxi skirt and a nipped waist. It’s emphasized by a relatively modest, criss-crossed V-cut back tiered with ruffles all the way down, ruffled chiffon shoulders, and a sweet, intricate lace inset at the front neckline. We imagine that Shosanna Dreyfus from Inglourious Bastards would have worn this dress with ease while she casually shot Col. Hans Landa in the face. How fantastic is that? #lucky #trends #outfitideas
One Shoe, Three Ways… by jenniferastin
Free People drop waist dress / The Elder Statesman cashmere sweater / Free People studded leather jacket / Gucci / See by chloé / MiH Jeans cropped jeans / Free People backpack bag / DANNIJO collar jewelry / Marni resin ring / B.F.T. by Barefoot Tess ‘Nashville’ Boot (Brown)
The Western-inspired trend is still very much alive, and it’s at its best in the small details. Look for a great pair of boots (we love the B.F.T. by Barefoot Tess ‘Nashville’) and then pair them with simple, almost boho pieces. The look is Mexican Western, not Old West Americana. #lucky #trends #outfitideas
Trend Report: Stripes and Color-blocking by jenniferastin featuring a silk dress
Roksanda Ilincic zipper dress / 3.1 Phillip Lim silk dress / Camilla and Marc striped dress / ISSA London flare dress / Preen neon dress / Camilla and Marc stripe dress / Maje jersey knit dress
Color-blocking is the trend that just won’t go away. It’s in at least one editorial photo shoot in every major fashion magazine every month, and it’s been that way for 3 or 4 years. However, it’s taking an interesting twist by slowly becoming infused with striped patterns, giving an otherwise dated and frankly boring look a fresh spin. Look for great halter neck or high-collar dresses with girlish, flared pouf skirts. #lucky #trends #outfitideas
Sometimes we crave the luxurious simplicity of a well designed, easy but slightly fancy tee. We want to wear it with our “nice” jeans and a pair of pumps or boots and hit the market, or go to the movies. We want a tee that’s nice enough to be seen by someone important to us we may happen to run into. This ‘Cap Sleeve Pocket Tee‘ from Three Dots fulfills these requirements exactly. Known for fine American luxury sportswear, Three Dots uses great materials and has classic cuts and designs. This cap sleeve tee is made of 100% raw silk and features a left front pocket, comes in a delicious mocha brown color, and is printed on top with a teal surf leopard print that’s classy and chic. The perfect tee for running into your ex-boyfriend in. #lucky #outfitideas
RED Valentino dress / Nina Ricci / Acne oversized top / Diane von Furstenberg / J.Crew short mini skirt / Current/Elliott boyfriend jeans / Marc by Marc Jacobs marc jacobs jewelry, $100 / DANNIJO / Kenneth Jay Lane swarovski crystal jewelry, $150 / B.F.T. by Barefoot Tess ‘Adelaide’ Slight Wedge (Blue Tapestry)
The B.F.T. by Barefoot Tess ‘Adelaide‘ is the perfect flat. A small covered wedge adds interest, and the slightly pointed toe and high cut vamp make it extremely flattering. My favorite color is this gorgeous, peacock/paisley tapestry print. The variety of colors it contains makes it fun and easy to pair with all different styles. Find your way to wear it and make it your own! #lucky #outfitideas
Some of you may remember from my last awards show post, I only post about the gowns I like; you’ll find no “worst dressed list” here. So, here’s my assessment:
1. My WINNER of Best-Dressed is Nicole Richie in Naeem Khan. Not only is Khan currently my favorite fancy-dress-designer-guy, but I love all shades of blue, I love sparkles, I love lace, I love exotic designs, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, long sleeves and the totally covered-up look. You have to be thin to pull it off, and right now, Richie seems to be at a good weight. She looks healthy and radiant, and I adore the look and styling from head to toe.
2. I’m adoring Lucy Liu in this graphic, light blue floral patterned ball gown by Carolina Herrera. It’s perfectly on trend for what’s hot in 2013 and she looks lovely. The styling is simple and elegant, and it’s very classic to me. I love the casual side fishtail braid, the small earrings, and the fitted bodice of this dress against the front pleated, pocketed, pouf skirt (you know me and pockets. I’m the pocket girl). Easy does it wins the race.
3. Kerry Washington blew my mind in this subtly flashy confection from Miu Miu. She’s usually a cut-outs and neon type of girl, and I’m really impressed with this selection. I love Miu Miu and this dress is just so very cool. I’m loving the current barely-there covered by embellishments trend, and this dress hits that trend on the mark perfectly. It’s simple and chic – something Zuhair Murad attempts and often fails by over embellishing (see everything Jennifer Lopez or Katy Perry have ever worn of Murad’s). Also, blush tones are so very NOW.
4. Kate Hudson is usually on my best-dressed list, so this is no surprise. She absolutely dazzles in this Alexander McQueen dress. Once again, I love long sleeves and a long skirt, but this dress has a sexy middle cut out (which is so very Kate) and is edged up by typically McQueen gold embellishments at the collar and belt. It’s boho and rock star at the same time, which is, well, who Kate Hudson IS!
5. Anne Hathaway may not be one of my favorites on the red carpet in general, and I really just detest this hair cut (I know, I know, Les Mis, I GET IT), but she absolutely hits the ball out of the park in this two-piece CHANEL wonderland of winter white. I’m blinded by how gorgeous this gown is. I would have loved to see a pop of color on her somewhere (I envision an amazing, chunky, ruby cuff bracelet), but hey, let Rachel Zoe do her thing. She has an idea of who she wants Hathaway to be, so fine. (But I would have gotten that darn huge ruby cuff on her).
6. Kristen Bell is so adorable pregnant, and dressing for an awards show whilst carrying a child must be a total nightmare. All that aside, she looks amazing in this ethereal Jenny Packham gown. I have a proclivity for intricate beading work at the collar and bodice, and I love the gently gray, purple, and mauve tone of this dress, so everything is working in tune for me here. She looks happy and beautiful.
Can’t wait to read what the “professionals” have to say about this year’s Globes fashion choices. Hope you’ve enjoyed my assessment! #lucky #trends
*all photos courtesy of PopSugar